Local Moving FAQ
Has it been 1 year since your last move? Or 10 years?
We often hear the same questions from customers, no matter how often they’ve moved. Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about moving:
- When should I reach out to a moving company? In summer, when it is busy season in the moving industry, longer lead time is required. If your move will need to happen between June and August; give your moving company at least 4-6 weeks notice. You’re much more likely to get a great mover on the day you want, if you plan ahead!
- I’m busy- why should I get an ‘In Home Survey’? Simply put- they are more accurate! The quote you receive from a moving company is an estimate. Meaning, your actual costs could be more or less depending on the time or amount (weight) your move is, when it’s all said and done. So when you have a no obligation, in home survey- the Certified Move Consultant know what to look for, they are trained to know how long things take, and how many boxes your bookcase full of items will be, once packed. Online estimates are great for a rough estimate, to see if hiring a professional mover is within your budget and are as accurate as you are in filling out the inventory form.
- Do I need to empty out the drawers of my dresser? For local moves, lightweight clothing may be left in the drawers. Do not fill drawers with heavy items like books or bricks because it can damage the furniture during transit. Also, make sure to remove valuable or fragile items to be packed properly and ensure safe arrival to your new home.
- What information do you need to schedule my move? We will need the basics: Who, what, when, &where.
- Who: your contact information and a back up, in case you are unreachable during part of your move.
- What: this is where the Survey or Inventory form comes in- we need to be prepared with materials, labor , and a large enough truck based on what you need moved.
- When: Are you closing on the house, have a lease expiration that mandates your move date? We need to know!
- Where: Current and new address; or if you will be going into storage, that’s an important detail because it will dictate how we handle your items and prepare them for your move.
- How do I handle payment for my move? All charges are required to be paid prior to delivery to your new home (unless prior arrangements have been made with your moving company). Most Moving companies accept cash, money order, traveler’s check, cashier’s check, and major credit cards. There are usually processing fees associated with paying by credit card so make alternate arrangements if you’d like to avoid these fees. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Do I need to be present during my move? Yes, definitely!! Yes, our Certified Move Consultant does communicate all the details you’ve shared with them but since things often change during a move, our teams are trained to confirm things and follow the directions of YOU, the customer! You will also need to do a walk through, sign off on the paperwork, which includes the Inventory sheets, the High value inventory form, and make sure nothing was accidentally missed!
- What if something is damaged, broken, or lost? You’re protected! When you received the estimate from your Certified Move Consultant, it showed different pricing based on the level of protection you later chose. In a nutshell, there are 2 types of coverage. Full Value Protection and Released Value Protection. Although Full Value Protection will cost you a bit more, it’s well worth the peace of mind it provides. Released Value Protection is the alternative and while it comes at no cost to you, the customer, it limits our liability to $0.60 per pound, per article.
- What do I need to do if something is damaged or lost? First, let the driver know, if they are still there. Second, contact your move coordinator or consultant. They will provide you with a claim form to fill out and return. You are on a limited timeframe to complete this and get it back to your moving company so be thorough but make it a priority. They will send a third party inspector and take it form there in terms of making it right.
Do you have any questions after reading this list? Give us a call at 888-566-9737; we’ll be happy to answer it for you!